Monday, December 20, 2010

Life with Music

I can’t imagine my life without music. In many ways, music has shaped the domestic life I know. In my family, music was mandatory. All the kids started with piano lessons at age five and then were given the option of switching instruments in fifth grade. Some might think a mandatory music standard is too strict, too limiting of a child’s freedom. But I am extremely grateful for it! Don’t get me wrong, there were plenty of times in my childhood that I dreaded the thirty minute timer sitting on the piano, keeping me from going outside and playing with my friends. But the reward of being able to enjoy music like I do now – to play it, to write it, to sing it, to be in a band – wouldn’t have been possible without my family’s rule.

I recently had the privilege to sing backup at a concert by my friend, Mandy. It was a blast!

Guess who was there grooving to the tunes with me? That’s right – my family. The cool part is, if we wanted to, we could put our own band together.


Hope you’re enjoying the sounds of the season with the people you love.

2 comments:

  1. ....and what would my role in the band be? That might take a little creativity! :)

    ReplyDelete