Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where Dreams Begin

Remember what it felt like to have endless possibilities? Yeah, you were probably twelve and dreaming about all the adventures your adult life would hold. If you were anything like me, you were trying on careers in your mind: saving lives as an emergency room doctor, working as an interpreter at the UN, making movies, playing your favorite sport professionally, teaching to eager students, photographing wild animals for National Geographic, designing wedding gowns, traveling to war-torn countries as a journalist, pounding the gavel as a judge, writing novels in the mountains, drawing up building plans. You name it, I probably imagined doing it.

The adventures of real life have taken a different form than my childhood imaginings. The cold hard fact is that getting good at anything requires an incredible amount of dedication, hours of work – doing the not-that-exciting-part of the career you’re working in. (I know, sad isn’t it?) It’s not as easy to try on careers as I’d hoped.

But what I want to know is, how can you choose just one thing when there are so many exciting possibilities?

You might wonder how a nice lady like me ended up – for now – in the law (which is not my passion, by the way, but enjoyable at times and always challenging)? Well, it was passion of another sort. You see, the man of my dreams happens to have a single-minded passion for the law. If he was going to be in my life (and I couldn’t imagine life any other way!), so was the law.

Ok, here’s my domestic connection. Dreaming up the many possible adventures for my life, and feeling like I could do any of those things if I put my mind to it, all stemmed from my domestic life: loving parents, a warm home, family meals every night, plenty of clothes to wear, weekly trips to the library, homework time, discussions around the dinner table, reading countless books under the covers, bedtime prayers.

So maybe through all this rambling what I really want to say is this: what I really love is home because home is where dreaming begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment