Sunday, March 22, 2015

Wall Space - ReStore Art

Hi, friends and family. To kick off my spring break, I thought I would share a project I did almost a year ago. Yep, catching you right up on the action around here.

Do any of you have design differences with your spouse? Well, Paul and I usually have different ideas about what we want around us. I tend toward a minimalist/rustic/natural aesthetic and Paul likes a traditional feel to furnishings. Needless to say, our home is a compromise.

The walls in our living room were bare for the first year and half after we moved in. I wasn't in a hurry to fill them (minimalist, remember?), but when Paul and I stumbled across these images at our local ReStore, we decided to go for it.


We bought five prints - four small and one large (only the four smaller prints are featured in this post). To me, they look very traditional. Paul loved that about them. The outdoor scenes give them a natural component. More importantly, they have horses in them. I've been horse crazy since I was a kid. I've learned to reign in the obsession, but it's still there.

I've even started riding again, which makes me feel like I'm thirteen.



The frames were in terrible condition. Maybe a dog chewed on them? I bought some wax crayons to try to fill in the scratches, but I did it in haste and in a who-cares-anything-will-look-better-than-this approach. Next, I covered the glass and sprayed the frames with this stuff.


I don't think of myself as liking "glamour," but there's something about this gold finish that makes me smile. Who would guess that underneath is cheap wood laminate all scratched to pieces?




One wall isn't empty anymore. Sometimes compromise works out better than I expected.


1 comment: